Monday 15 October 2012

Welcome!

So....hello!  Alright, first off, I have never written a blog before, so this is all very new to me and I ask that you please bear with me as I learn the ropes and sort out the kinks.

Basically, the idea for this blog came after a suggestion from my lovely sister-in-law that I should write books reviews.  She made this suggestion after she borrowed a pile of books from me and I was able to give a running review on every single one.  So, I figured that in this world of social media and everyone having an opinion, I may as well try my hand at sharing mine.  Maybe people will read this, maybe not.  perhaps you will agree with my opinions, perhaps not.  Either way, it's always good to try new things, which is what I'm determined to do!

I'm going to do my best to write the reviews without spoilers, so that if you haven't read the book, you can read the review without the book being ruined for you, and maybe it will help you decide if it is the book for you! 

I am going to keep within my tastes as far as books go, which can be somewhat varied, although there will be certain genres I'm just not interested in.  for example, it is rare that I would pick up a novel about an FBI agent on the trail of a serial killer...it's just not my thing.  Likewise, I'm not likely to be interested in a book about a 40-something divorcee who moves to a small town, opens up a coffe shop and eventually falls for the rough around the edges but essentially sweet and oh-so-handsome local joe.  I have always had a fascination with young adult fiction and even children's books, so that theme will be prevalent, but I'm also fussy about good writing, so I can also be picky (there's a lot of terribly written YA fiction out there people!).  Of course I also love me some classics (Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte are sure to make an appearance at some point) and certainly other books will feature along the way.

I should also add here, that whilst I consider myself to be educated, I do not claim to be any sort of literary expert.  I don't have a degree in classic literature, and I'm not expecting every book I read to be a masterpiece.  I want this blog to be for those who are, like me and as the blog title suggests, 'amatuer' bookworms - people who read for the love of the stories and the magical escape that only books can give.

I may occasionally branch in to movie reviews, but essentially, this blog is about books and reading and a way for me to share my love of the written word.  I hope you can join me and share in that joy.

The first review I'm going to write is on the last book I read, being 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky.  I won't give too much away now, but I will try to post it soon.

Thank you for reading and I can't wait to hear from you all!

Bec xx

P.S. If you have a book that you think I might enjoy reading and reviewing, please let me know and I'll try to add it to my list!

1 comment:

  1. Hi welcome to reviewing I haven't been at it long but I've had my blog for awhile mostly like reading reviews follwing blogs really enjoy it. Happy Reading to you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete